Learn

Colored pencils facing you

About Positive Psychology
Positive Psychology is the science of what’s right in life. Its principles concern what makes life worth living. Positive Psychology provides the means for moving forward to a better place, which results in a more self-fulfilling and satisfying life, sometimes known as the good life.

The Science of Positive Psychology
It is the science behind Positive Psychology that differentiates the field from myriad fads and unproven ideas and solutions. You may have shelves of self-help books and DVDs, all promising the keys that will help you turn your life around, but much of this is often based on folk wisdom or anecdotal experiences. During the 19 years since Positive Psychology took form (founded by Martin Seligman, former president of the American Psychological Association), hundreds of research studies have been conducted by leading psychologists around the world. 

The ensuing research of Positive Psychology has brought us closer to understanding how we can raise our levels of well-being and the extensive benefits of doing so.  Studies show that people who seek well-being are more successful across wide-ranging domains, which include careers, romantic relationships, and general wellness. Most importantly, this research provides the empirical evidence behind the claim that—yes—you can lead the good life.

Nature or Nurture
Genetics and life circumstances both play roles in determining happiness in our lives. Sonya Lyubormirsky, a leading psychologist, calls these factors “the set point” and she estimates that they account for about 60% of your happiness. The good news is that the remaining 40% is the portion of happiness that is under our control where we can make constructive choices and take willful actions to bring about positive outcomes in our lives.

Increase your level of well-being
Positive Psychology studies the theory of well-being. It is a construct that has five measureable elements that count toward well-being.

  • Positive Emotion When you savor the present, are grateful for the past and hopeful for the future, and you love the people around you, you experience positive emotion, the first element of well-being.
  • Engagement When you do what you do best, when you are absorbed in activities that use your strengths and demand that you grow in ability, you are engaged, and this is the second contributor to well-being.
  • Relationships Noted Positive Psychologist Chris Peterson stated, “other people matter.” When you are surrounded by loving and supportive relationships, you experience the third dimension of well-being. 
  • Meaning When you are involved in activities that are beyond your self-interest, and you believe you matter to the world, you experience the fourth element of well-being: meaning. 
  • Accomplishment When we pursue achievement, accomplishment and mastery in a particular field or area of our lives, and we create a successful outcome, we are experiencing the fifth element that comprises Positives Psychology’s theory of well-being.

Positive Psychology = Success
By utilizing your natural-born talents, skills, and positive character traits, you move closer to the good life and high levels of well-being each and every day. The aim is to integrate Positive Psychology strategies into your daily life. By exploring different steps to see what works best for you, your life will be enriched and you will become a frequent and sustained user of this positive approach.